AGM minutes are now available with a talk by Vicki Hird, the Chairman’s and Treasurer’s reports, election of officers, plot awards and two discussion items.
Tales from a Wood Green allotment
The Patch A BBC radio programme (registration required) from Wolves Lane allotment.
A new plot matching website
AllotMe A digital platform to pair anyone with available outdoor space with people seeking to grow their own.
Allotments during the pandemic
BBC article about a Chelmsford allotment site.
Spring 2021 newsletter
Spring newsletter with AGM 2020 decisions, what to plant in April, Spring plot inspections, plant health, comfrey and nettle feed, urine as fertilizer, site photos, recipes and 2020 plot awards.
Ideas for growing over winter
Slides from Stephanie Irvine’s talk at AGM 2014 on what vegetables could be grown over winter, the use of green manures and the importance of making places for wildlife to survive over winter on allotment sites.
AGM 2020 outcome
Election of officers, results of the vote on new management proposals and plot awards.
Powerful industrial herbicide found in manure blights allotment crops. Read the full story here.
Allotments in the news
- Edinburgh allotments 2020 - photographs during Covid 19 lockdown.
- National Allotments Week 2016 - photographs from a Bristol allotment.
- It’s official - allotments make the best bee habitat.
- Growing fruit and vegetables in the tiniest of spaces.
- Landmark legal victory for allotments over redevelopment.
- The on-going struggle to protect allotment land.
- Turn your balcony into an allotment.
- Forget Eton, put your child’s name down for an allotment now. 40 year wait for a Camden allotment.
- It’s more work than you think. Confessions of a former allotment holder.
- National Trust releases land on some of the best known country estates in Britain for up to 1,000 allotments.
- In June 2007 a committee member was fortunate to be invited to a friend’s dacha on the outskirts of Lviv in the west of Ukraine. The country’s fabled fertile soil and the need for self-sufficiency gives rise to a landscape of intense cultivation.
- ’A lot to lose: London’s disappearing allotments’ - a report from the London Assembly highlights the scarcity of allotments in the capital. The report also contains very comprehensive maps of London wide allotment sites for those with the inclination to search for a site outside the borough.
- A Hackney resident photographed these remarkably plush Danish allotments on a visit to her homeland in summer 2006.
- Well it sounds easy enough. A thriving allotment in just thirty minutes.
- Everyone is doing it. Composting tips from a new allotment holder.
- How to plant a low-maintenance allotment and have time to write about it.