Autumn 2021 newsletter
Autumn newsletter on dealing with blight, tackling slugs and snails, path clearance, photos and illustrations from our sites and plant-based recipes.
AGM minutes are now available with a talk by Vicki Hird, the Chairman’s and Treasurer’s reports, election of officers, plot awards and two discussion items.
Tales from a Wood Green allotment
The Patch A BBC radio programme (registration required) from Wolves Lane allotment.
A new plot matching website
AllotMe A digital platform to pair anyone with available outdoor space with people seeking to grow their own.
Allotments during the pandemic
BBC article about a Chelmsford allotment site.
Ideas for growing over winter
Slides from Stephanie Irvine’s talk at AGM 2014 on what vegetables could be grown over winter, the use of green manures and the importance of making places for wildlife to survive over winter on allotment sites.
AGM 2020 outcome
Election of officers, results of the vote on new management proposals and plot awards.
Powerful industrial herbicide found in manure blights allotment crops. Read the full story here.
Allotments in the news
- Productive allotments -
research finds city allotments could be as productive as conventional farms.
- Edinburgh allotments 2020 - photographs during Covid 19 lockdown.
- National Allotments Week 2016 - photographs from a Bristol allotment.
- It’s official - allotments make the best bee habitat.
- Growing fruit and vegetables in the tiniest of spaces.
- Landmark legal victory for allotments over redevelopment.
- The on-going struggle to protect allotment land.
- Turn your balcony into an allotment.
- Forget Eton, put your child’s name down for an allotment now. 40 year wait for a Camden allotment.
- It’s more work than you think. Confessions of a former allotment holder.
- National Trust releases land on some of the best known country estates in Britain for up to 1,000 allotments.
- ’A lot to lose: London’s disappearing allotments’ - a report from the London Assembly highlights the scarcity of allotments in the capital. The report also contains very comprehensive maps of London wide allotment sites for those with the inclination to search for a site outside the borough.
- Well it sounds easy enough. A thriving allotment in just thirty minutes.
- Everyone is doing it. Composting tips from a new allotment holder.
- How to plant a low-maintenance allotment and have time to write about it.